Fashion Sketch Apps I recommend
Don’t forget that I created a course on this topic! So if you want to work more deeply with guidance, sign up for Freedom Fashion, Schedule a consult/ live lesson with me, or get the ABOUT FACES Fashion Sketch apps online course! l
1. Imagink/ RePaper by ISKN
Imagink (now RePaper) is one of the apps I rely on for fashion sketching. It doesn’t have what someother apps do, (see this article 3 Best Fashion Apps for Fashion Illustration).
But I recommend it, of course becuase it has things that other apps don’t! Here’s why I love this Fashion Sketch APP;
- it has lovely papaer colors and textures, particularly the “rice paper” that I sketched this design on! It also comes in white and charcoal colored rice paper. So luscious!
- there are a limited number of tools and the interface is simple and straightforward, which I think is REALLY important! There is no watercolor tool, so I use the “pastel” for all of my “painting” which you can see in the illustration above.
- For line work I use the pencil ( I love that I can choose a #6B soft, dark pencil just like I would in real life!) You can also adjust the thickness or thinnes, Opacity or sheerness, of the pencil and any color in the world you want.
- Colored pencils are great for rendering your prints and patterns or drawing and coloring.
- Fine Marker is in there too for line work, and you can make it larger tip and sheered if you want more of a magric marker coloring effect.
2. Pret a template app
3. Procreate app
I love a fashion sketch app wtih very simple easy toolbars. For me, Procreate doesn’t give me that. I think it’s not recommendable for beginners as much as teh NEXT app I’m going to show you, but it’s good to play around with sometimes.
Procreate app is livestream-able (***VERY SAD UPDATE: NOT ANYMORE !! THEY TOOK THAT AWAY***) , gives me timelapse videos exports too, and works wtih so many formats – everyone loves Procreate, but I don’t recommend it for beginners. Here’s an example of the results you can get sketching with Procreate as a fashion sketch app!
4. Tayasui Sketches app
5. Autodesk Sketchbook Pro
This is another techy -feeling fashion sketch app. You can access endless art supplies. My favorte illustrator who uses this for incredible art is the inimitable VG WAYMER.
Autodesk Sketchbook Pro is a fun fashion sketch app with a particularly fun feature built in: COPIC COLORS! Every copic marker color is included inside the app so you can choose from the marker colors instead of using the traditional colorpicker. I’ll share a sample below.
Here is a little video below about the Copic Marker Colors and how that works for a fashion sketch app!
Last but not Least
6. Adobe Illustrator Draw (now Adobe Fresco app)
First thing you need to know: you do not have to pay more than 4.99 for this app! You do need an adoble ID to use it but the Adobe ID is FREE you do not have to have illustrator or creative cloud or anything.
Most of what I’ve done this year, I’ve done (2018) using Adobe Draw/ Adobe Fresco as my fashion sketch app. And I tell you , that is a whole other topic….
I used to think it was not a useful app…. now I know it’s WONDERFUL! It takes some time to get used to these things!